How does Virtual Reality Exposure Therapy help patients?
VR Therapy is a high-tech method that helps people learn effective ways to cope with situations they dread. During a VRET session, the person wears a virtual reality headset similar to the kind used in video games or to watch movies on the phone. A simulation program plays and one or more avatars are displayed. The person engages with these avatars in a variety of common social situations in order to become better prepared for interactions in real-life situations.
Virtual reality exposure therapy allows you to feel as if you are in a setting, but the therapist can stop the program if you become truly upset. Even if a person knows the virtual reality program isn’t real, what they experience is enough to trigger an emotional response to their phobia. By working through their reactions, nearly 83 percent of people who have tried virtual reality therapy have managed to put their fears behind them.
Virtual Reality Therapy Benefits
Some of the benefits of virtual reality therapy include:
- Allowing the patient to try the therapy without as much anxiety. For example: in the case of a phobia about flying, it is much easier for someone to agree to try working through their fears in an office than to have to force themselves to physically go to the place they know will bring an emotional reaction.
- Experiencing the phobia and/or its triggers without taking the time to travel to an actual location. For the fear of flying phobia, you simply sit in a chair, rather than going to the airport numerous times for several small exposures to your triggers.
- Confidentiality for the patient: you don’t have to face potential embarrassment by running into someone you know or possibly becoming upset in a public area.
- The therapist can carefully control the situation, meaning if you are afraid of elevators or airplanes, you don’t have to get in one. Virtual reality exposure therapy allows you to feel as if you are in a location, but the therapist can stop the program if you become truly upset.
- The therapy is more realistic, in that you can go places or experience things you wouldn’t ordinarily be able to (you can’t get on and off an airplane as part of your flying phobia therapy, for instance). That being said, it is much safer than the real-life setting and minimizes any risk involved.
- Virtual reality exposure therapy sessions are shorter than those that require you to visit an actual site for therapy (so, there is no travel time from the therapist’s office to the airport for our fear of flying scenario.)
- Sessions can be repeated several times until the patient has conquered that portion of their phobia and is ready to move on to another phase.
We offer our virtual reality therapy in Delray Beach, FL and also across the United States via teletherapy.
Virtual Reality Therapy Benefits
Virtual Reality Therapy Benefits
Treatment Programs Specializing In:
Serving the whole person, not just the symptoms. In all of our programs your comfort, privacy and long-term success are paramount.
COVID-19 Trauma has become familiar to many people throughout the pandemic. If you’re experiencing trauma, PTSD, anxiety, or depression as a result of Corona virus learn about how our COVID-19 Trauma Treatment Program can help.
We offer online therapy to help people who are unable to leave their homes. Contact us and we will will schedule your confidential online assessment.
Helping people from all walks of life find deeper connection and understanding to create stronger and healthier relationships.
Anxiety disorders are the most common psychiatric illnesses affecting children and adults. When you experience anxiety that is persistent, seemingly uncontrollable, overwhelming and disabling you may have an anxiety disorder.
Mood disorders represent a category of psychiatric disorders in which the underlying problem primarily affects a person’s persistent emotional state or mood. Mood disorders are made up of depressive types and bipolar types.
Resilience can help protect a person from various mental health conditions, such as depression and anxiety, and most importantly this training improves the quality of life. Resilience can also help offset factors that increase the risk of mental health conditions, such as being bullied or previous trauma.
Children and adolescents experience normal problems of growing up due to pressures of social media, school, socializing, self esteem or family. Our youth services provide assistance in dealing with educational, social, and vocational issues.
The Trauma Institute provides highly specialized clinical services, informed by the latest cutting edge-research, for trauma survivors. We are an Institute dedicated to clinical services, community education, professional training, and research focused on trauma recovery.
Individuals or couples who want to transition into parenthood but are experiencing difficulties becoming pregnant may feel alone, frustrated, ashamed or experience symptoms of depression or anxiety. Pregnancy therapy may be a helpful outlet to help cope with these feelings and reduce stress.
Many children and adults who have weak executive functioning skills are negatively impacted in all areas of life but fortunately through assessment and intervention, executive skills can be strengthened and compensatory strategies can be learned. When these skills are well developed, children and adults can better maximum their potential and future outcomes.
Families naturally go through stages and transitions across the lifespan. Family dynamics impact each individuals’ response to daily life and major events. Therapy can help families understand their complex and ever-changing dynamics. As the family becomes an expert in their processes, they will be able to use new skills to navigate each situation with love and respect for one another.
Learning should be empowering and meaningful for all students. Our new services being offered include the teaching of strategies to maximize learning. Academic coaching and personalized learning strategies can help students learn to use patterns, meaning, body motion, mnemonics, their color spectrum, visuals and mind maps to enhance attention and working memory. When learning becomes meaningful, positive physical changes happen in the brain.
What We Treat
Other addictions and disorders
Types of Therapy
The Center offers cutting edge therapy designed to get you on the road to a speedy recovery. We will help you to learn how to live your daily life free from the fears or compulsions that inhibit you or your child’s ability to complete each day’s tasks.
More Ways to Get Help Now
The Center offers cutting edge therapy designed to get you on the road to a speedy recovery. We know that you can’t always make it into our office for your session. Which is why we now provide teletherapy. You can get support from the comfort of your own home. We offer cognitive behavior therapy, psychodynamic psychotherapy, mindfulness meditation, group therapy, and medication. Depending on your needs, here’s how you can get help now:
Online or Phone Therapy
For individuals around the country or those wanting help from the comfort of your own home, we offer therapy via Facetime, Skype or phone.
In Person Treatment
We have professionals available 7 days a week. Our offices are conveniently located in the Boca/Delray area.
Intensive Outpatient Programs
For those who prefer a more short-term approach we offer intensive sessions for individuals or groups. Perfect for those with a less flexible work schedule.
When it comes to anxiety or mood disorders we specialize in treating the whole person, not just your symptoms. In all of our programs your comfort, privacy and long-term success are paramount.