Sexual Dysfunction Disorder Treatment
Recently, several small studies have suggested that there may be a link between anxiety disorders and sexual disorders. While the study of this relationship is just beginning, researchers have seen connections wherein those who suffer from panic disorder, anxiety disorder, and social anxiety disorder also have noted an increase in impairment of sexual function, arousal and desire, and a decrease in satisfaction and enjoyment of sex.
Why Do These Disorders Coincide?
While there are many more reasons that anxiety and sexual disorders occur together, the following offer a glimpse into why they might be found in patients with anxiety:
- Just experiencing anxiety by itself can be enough to impair sexual function in some people. If a man is concerned that he may not be able to please his partner, for instance, that fear may cause him to avoid sex, it may increase the potential for erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation, or it may weaken arousal or satisfaction.
- Certain medications can cause sexual side effects. SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are commonly prescribed for panic disorders and social phobias (an example is Prozac) and these drugs are known to delay orgasm in many men.
- Stress, worry, and fear can impede sexual function and the subsequent worry about one’s sexual function can create a vicious cycle of fear, worry, and stress.
What Can You Do About It?
- Tell your doctor or therapist if you are being treated for an anxiety disorder and also have problems functioning sexually as these conditions can be treated simultaneously. Additionally, sexual problems often have a root physical origin and a medical exam will help identify and treat any physical condition that may be causing the dysfunction.
- If you are on anxiety disorder medications, your doctor can adjust your medicine so it has less impact on or helps with your situation.
- Other medications can be utilized to help your sexual function. For example, because SSRIs can have a side effect of delayed orgasm, prescribing them often can help men who suffer from premature ejaculation.
- There are many therapies, such as psychodynamic psychotherapy to help reduce anxiety, fear, and negative emotions. Discussing your concerns with your therapist can help you find the way that works best for you.
Even though researchers have seen that anxiety disorders and sexual disorders often co-occur, these disorders do not coincide in all anxiety patients. For that reason, more studies will need to be conducted so we can better understand how to treat people who suffer from both conditions.
Sexual dysfunction disorder in Delray Beach, FL and also across the United States via teletherapy.
Treatment Programs Specializing In:
Serving the whole person, not just the symptoms. In all of our programs your comfort, privacy and long-term success are paramount.
COVID-19 Trauma has become familiar to many people throughout the pandemic. If you’re experiencing trauma, PTSD, anxiety, or depression as a result of Corona virus learn about how our COVID-19 Trauma Treatment Program can help.
We offer online therapy to help people who are unable to leave their homes. Contact us and we will will schedule your confidential online assessment.
Helping people from all walks of life find deeper connection and understanding to create stronger and healthier relationships.
Anxiety disorders are the most common psychiatric illnesses affecting children and adults. When you experience anxiety that is persistent, seemingly uncontrollable, overwhelming and disabling you may have an anxiety disorder.
Mood disorders represent a category of psychiatric disorders in which the underlying problem primarily affects a person’s persistent emotional state or mood. Mood disorders are made up of depressive types and bipolar types.
Resilience can help protect a person from various mental health conditions, such as depression and anxiety, and most importantly this training improves the quality of life. Resilience can also help offset factors that increase the risk of mental health conditions, such as being bullied or previous trauma.
Children and adolescents experience normal problems of growing up due to pressures of social media, school, socializing, self esteem or family. Our youth services provide assistance in dealing with educational, social, and vocational issues.
The Trauma Institute provides highly specialized clinical services, informed by the latest cutting edge-research, for trauma survivors. We are an Institute dedicated to clinical services, community education, professional training, and research focused on trauma recovery.
Individuals or couples who want to transition into parenthood but are experiencing difficulties becoming pregnant may feel alone, frustrated, ashamed or experience symptoms of depression or anxiety. Pregnancy therapy may be a helpful outlet to help cope with these feelings and reduce stress.
Many children and adults who have weak executive functioning skills are negatively impacted in all areas of life but fortunately through assessment and intervention, executive skills can be strengthened and compensatory strategies can be learned. When these skills are well developed, children and adults can better maximum their potential and future outcomes.
Families naturally go through stages and transitions across the lifespan. Family dynamics impact each individuals’ response to daily life and major events. Therapy can help families understand their complex and ever-changing dynamics. As the family becomes an expert in their processes, they will be able to use new skills to navigate each situation with love and respect for one another.
Learning should be empowering and meaningful for all students. Our new services being offered include the teaching of strategies to maximize learning. Academic coaching and personalized learning strategies can help students learn to use patterns, meaning, body motion, mnemonics, their color spectrum, visuals and mind maps to enhance attention and working memory. When learning becomes meaningful, positive physical changes happen in the brain.
What We Treat
Other addictions and disorders
Types of Therapy
The Center offers cutting edge therapy designed to get you on the road to a speedy recovery. We will help you to learn how to live your daily life free from the fears or compulsions that inhibit you or your child’s ability to complete each day’s tasks.
More Ways to Get Help Now
The Center offers cutting edge therapy designed to get you on the road to a speedy recovery. We know that you can’t always make it into our office for your session. Which is why we now provide teletherapy. You can get support from the comfort of your own home. We offer cognitive behavior therapy, psychodynamic psychotherapy, mindfulness meditation, group therapy, and medication. Depending on your needs, here’s how you can get help now:
Online or Phone Therapy
For individuals around the country or those wanting help from the comfort of your own home, we offer therapy via Facetime, Skype or phone.
In Person Treatment
We have professionals available 7 days a week. Our offices are conveniently located in the Boca/Delray area.
Intensive Outpatient Programs
For those who prefer a more short-term approach we offer intensive sessions for individuals or groups. Perfect for those with a less flexible work schedule.
When it comes to anxiety or mood disorders we specialize in treating the whole person, not just your symptoms. In all of our programs your comfort, privacy and long-term success are paramount.